07 June 2005

June 1984 - Laurie and the Cubs

Today, of course, would have been Laurie's 21st birthday. Katie and my mom have both done an amazing job of bringing back some of the memories. I remember sleeping in the pop-up camper 21 years ago, just as Katie wrote. I DO remember Dad coming by during the night to pick up Mom. I remember being nervous, scared, and excited as I watched them back down the driveway (from the safety of the camper of course!) What an amazing journey that was about to begin.

However, I remember June 1984 for more than just Laurie's arrival. June 1984 was the month that the Chicago Cubs announced to the world that they were back in business, and would soon be winning their first postseason berth since 1945!! Any serious Cub fan knows exactly what happened on June 23, 1984 -- the figurative birthday of the revived Cubs.

Since I may arguably be an even bigger Cub fan than Laurie was, and since I think that it may be more than ironic that both the Cubs and Laurie chose to make June 1984 their special debut month, I'll remind everyone what happened just 16 days after Laurie was born: The Cubs beat the St. Louis Cardinals 12-11 in an 11-inning thriller that is probably my favorite ballgame of all time. My baseball hero Ryne Sandberg went 5-for-6, and hit not one, but TWO home runs off Cardinals ace Bruce Sutter. Ryne hit his first in the 9th inning to send the game into extra innings, and then hit a SECOND homer off Sutter with one on and two outs in the bottom of the 10th to send the game to the 11th. The game was nationally televised, and made a statement that became the catalyst for the rest of the Cubs' amazing 1984 season. I even got to attend Game 2 of the NL Championship Series that October when the Cubs beat the Padres 4-2. (I still remember crying after they lost Game 5, but I regress.)

I suppose it's fitting to celebrate Laurie's life along with memories of the '84 Cubs. It's cool that Laur eventually became a Cub fan herself. Tonight I plan to watch the game on TV with my beautiful wife and two girls. Maybe we can find a sports restaurant that will show the game (rather than the Astros game).

I have to be real, though. I'm hurting now as well. I feel like the scab of this wound has been opened anew today. The tenderness has become pain, and I feel the "gaping hole" again. I feel humbled and vulnerable all over again -- kind of like early March. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried almost the whole way to work today. I played all my memory songs multiple times. I am floored by the lyrics of "Hold On" by Nichole Nordeman -- they melt me down every time. (please go buy the CD and listen.)

So, today will be hard. Celebrate - remember - pray.

Thank you, God, for the gift of my sister. I love her very much.

greg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the infamous "Ryne Sandberg Game". That's one of those "Where were you when ... ?" days in Cubs' history. My family basically skipped church that day because of that game. It was too dramatic; we couldn't get ourselves away from the TV!

That game and Wood's 20-K game are two that are seared into my memory. Good stuff.