19 February 2006

Mixing the Blues in Houston....

Image hosting by Photobucket
They say "do what you love, and love what you do". One of the ways this plays out for me is in mixing live sound on a professional basis. Although I don't get to do this full-time, I still do accept gigs in a variety of applications. My preferred (and most enjoyable) format what they call "front-of-house" (FOH) sound. The FOH dude is that guy you see sitting at the sound console somewhere in the middle of an arena or stadium, often behind an impressive-looking control panel with more knobs than you thought existed.

Last night I had the privilege of mixing FOH for a live concert featuring Jim Belushi and his band, the Sacred Hearts! Belushi currently stars in an ABC show called According to Jim, and has been in a ton of movies.

A Houston-based production company called me last week, and asked if I'd like to do the gig on a free lance basis. After checking my calendar and agreeing on the $$$, I accepted.

It was a great concert, and Jim Belushi is the consummate performer. He ran out through the crowd, had ladies come up on stage, and danced like a crazy man. It was a night filled with Chicago-style blues, and I had an absolute ball running sound. Unfortunately, photography was banned during the event, so all I have is the photo above, at the FOH console. The band rocked. They played "Soul Man", "Sweet Home Chicago", "Natural Woman", "That's What I Want", and about a dozen others. Afterward, their production manager said they were happy with the event. I'll take that as a "thumbs up".

For me, it was a chance to do what I love to do on a bigger scale. No, I'm not quitting my day job, and No, I'm not seeking a second career. I love mixing at church, at Lakewood, and anywhere I get the chance. For me, it's the thrill of trying to produce in a live venue something that you normally only hear in CD-format. Live effects, EQ-by-ear, technical artistry, quick decisions, and the inability to "go back" and fix mistakes make this an amazing challenge. I really try to put together a solid mix that is pleasing to the ear. 100% fun.

Sorry if this seemed like a rambling post. I just wanted to share glimpse of what I really enjoy. Last night, it was Jim Belushi, his band, and an awesome night in live audio.

greg

3 comments:

Barb K said...

I know I already spoke to you last night but wanted you to know how proud I am of all of you AND what a great gig that must have been! Jim Belushi is cool, Greg. (But not nearly as cool as you.)
Hope Cheryl's throat is better today. I am praying.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you allready know about this website or not but it's called (Adler Skyeye.com) They have a live webcam (360 pano)On top of the roof. I thought you might be interested in. It is time lapsed going all the way back to 2001. I myself have allways been wondering what the weather conditions were like on (That Day) and why no one saw her. Now because of this websit a lot of those guestions have been ansered. Does this make it any easyer for me? NO But it helpsme to get some answers. Maybe it can help you some.

Anonymous said...

It makes me happy when you are happy and doing well