I know it has been ages since I've posted here. So sorry for the gap. Truth is that my occupation has become my occupation (!). Work has been the dominant presence over the past couple of months. Unfortunately, Malaysia does not celebrate Thanksgiving (it's an American holiday -- obviously!), so I've had to put in another full 5 day week this week.
THANKFUL?
Yes, of course this will always be a time of the year to be thankful for everything: First, of course, our God and the unbelievable grace he has provided. Second, for the people He places in our lives: family, friends, loved ones. Third, (these days especially) for safety. I don't think I've ever been more thankful for safety in my life. (more on this later). We did manage to squeeze in a Thanksgiving meal of our own last night, and had some good friends over for the traditional turkey / stuffing, etc. We even put a pre-recorded football game on TV to satisfy that innate craving. We saw Indy vs SD from last Sunday night.
WEARIED.
The events of this week have given me great pause once again. Thai airports under siege? Massive killings in Mumbai? Two examples of (a) a government unable to control its own people, and (b) terrorism alive and well in the world. I know that many of my American family and friends have been consumed with eating and shopping over the past couple of days, but over here these are real and scary times. Cheryl and I wonder if this is where we really should be, sometimes.
As many of you know, I was in Thailand this week -- and traveled through both airports several times. In fact, I made out of Bangkok just 4 hours before the airport was taken by the protesters. I'd probably still be there if I had taken the next schedule flight out. I honestly believe that God was watching over me in those hours.
Also, many of my work colleagues travel through Mumbai regularly. They stay at the Taj Hotel just as I often stay at the other 5-star hotels in my district (Manila, Bangkok, etc.). In fact, we had two employees in Mumbai when all this started on Wednesday. Both are safe. However, I heard at the school board committee meeting on Thursday that a parent from the international school of Bombay was killed in the Mumbai attacks. Yes, the reality of living in a dangerous world hits home.
I'm not sure where all this leaves me except to know more than ever before that God needs to be, and will continue to be at the helm in our household. We will seek him in prayer and will seek to make wise decisions accordingly. I will be traveling to the USA (for the 7th time this year!) at the end of next week, and will even be able to return to Asia with Izzy! It's cool how that worked out. We have many many things to share, recount, and discuss (hey -- a first quarter away at college will do that!). We absolutely cannot wait to see her -- and get to have her home for a few weeks!
In other news:
* Both Rice (8-3) and Northwestern (9-3) football seem to be bowl bound. That's cool.
* I'm thinking about making the KL Marathon in March 2009 my next.
* Still haven't watched / listened to a Cubs story since the collapse.
* We're at the 2-years-left mark for Malaysia. No news on next stop.
Love and miss everyone.....
greg
No comments:
Post a Comment