14 January 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!!

Today is my mom's birthday. I was so happy to call her this morning to check in, tell her I loved her, and just connect. I think it almost goes without saying how awesome and amazing and unbelievable she is and always has been in my life. Just look at the comments in her blog to see what others think of her. And to think that I get to be her son -- and HAVE been for 36+ years!

I still have the note my mom wrote to me on my first day of Kindergarten over 30 years ago. Of course I couldn't really read it then, but I saved it -- waiting for the day when I could. The note goes like this: (actual text)

Greg,
Today you're starting a whole new venture. I wish you all the love and happiness possible as you begin. I hope you grow to love the classroom, your friends, your teachers, books, new experiences... And I hope I grow enough to let you love all these things.

Honey, I marvel at your courage, and your curiosity, and smile at your anxiety. I love you.

Have a happy life.

Mommy

I think it's nothing short of miraculous to see how those same words of encouragement my mom wrote over 30 years ago are still coming from her today. She DOES wish all the love and happiness possible. She HAS grown enough to let me love all those things. She DOES still marvel at all of her kids. She always has and she always will. That's just the way God wired her up.

And because that woman has loved me, and loved Chris, and loved Katie, and loved Laurie, and loved Kristin, we are all the richer for it. How we choose to respond to her love is up to us. She won't stop loving us, despite our response. This day I choose to respond with thanks, knowing full well that I can't possibly repay her for what she has already poured out.

Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you.

greg


P.S. In less than 12 hours, we'll be waking up for race day. We picked up our bib numbers, packets, and runner stuff from the Marathon Expo today. However, I'll write about the race later. Today is a day to celebrate my mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your run! 3:49?! awesome.

Anonymous said...

You are such a good son! Your family is blessed to have you.