16 November 2006

End of a long week in Thailand

Well, I'm in Bangkok for the third time this week. Yep, that's right -- three times. My colleagues and I have been living out of hotels all over Thailand, visiting 7 customers over 5 days. Today I started the day in Surat Thani (look at a map!) and now am back at the Conrad Hotel in central Bangkok.

Even though Thailand just went through a military coup just a month or two ago, you'd hardly be able to tell. The people are very calm, and things look very normal. The new airport is working fine (although the interior is exceedingly ugly), and the new government is now working up a new constitution.

I'm pretty tired of Thai food, so tonight we had an awesome dinner at an Italian place right near our hotel. Live jazz, wonderful red wine, succulent lamb shank on homemade pasta, "drunken" ice cream for dessert, and the inevitably gorgeous glass of limoncello. As an Italian, I don't think I could have scripted a better dinner -- unless of course I was able to have Cheryl there with me!

Tomorrow, after one more round of meetings, we fly back to KL. I can't wait to get home, see my family, and enjoy a weekend. It's only about 2-1/2 weeks until the Singapore Marathon (3 Dec). And today, I learned of a wonderful thing -- my brother Chris will be in Asia to see me run, then to come up to KL for a tour of our new land!! Yahoo!!

Even though I'll be in Brunei the week before, and then Myanmar the week after, it will be so awesome to have our first official family visitor. Get ready for some unbelievable pictures!!

OK. It's midnight here -- Friday already. Time for bed. If you get a chance, read Ashley's blog post. Very insightful that teenager of ours is... I love her so.

greg

p.s. "Phuket" (our vacation destination next week) is pronounced "POO-KET" as far as I know. We're going scuba diving!!! Check out the sights...

2 comments:

Shannon F said...

You poor, poor dear! How can you stand to go to yet another gorgeous beach. Here is your and Cheryl's assignment. Drink any frosty alcoholic beverage for me please...with an umbrella in it. Have a moment of silence in my honor before you take your first sip. Then right after, take a picture of you and Cheryl with your drinks, and send it to me or post it on your blog. I'll be so excited if you really do!!!! I don't know what has come over me. I'm not normally this bossy. Maybe it's good old fashioned jealousy. :)But a Godly jealousy of course.

Cheers!

Love to all
S

Barb K said...

Greg,
I am so glad you are back home for a while and thrilled that Chris will get to visit you guys, especially as you run the marathon! How neat is that? We will be missing all of you this Thanksgiving and remembering all the fun we had last year. Remember the barbecue sauce incident? Hug each of the girls for me and hopefully, we will SKYPE before Thursday.

Love you to the moon and back, Mom