18 February 2007

Happy Chinese New Year

I feel badly for not being able to post in some time. To say that my schedule has been busy would be the understatement of the (Chinese New!) year. I arrived back in Malaysia on Monday, 12 February. I enjoyed a nice 1/2 day with the family before launching into another hectic week. The week was capped off with a one-day trip to Bangkok, Thailand on Friday.

Now we're in the middle of Chinese New Year. To be honest, I had no idea how big of a holiday this was. I thought it was a one-day blip on the calendar, but it seems that it is much more like a week-long festivity. Companies are shut down today and tomorrow; thousands of people have retreated to their hometowns for eating and celebrating; the newspapers are filled with warm, fuzzy Chinese New Year ads; the malls are decked out in Red and Gold. Hmmm... I guess I'll chalk this up as another Asian lesson learned.

It is nice to be home, however. After weeks on the road, and about one international trip per week, I really like just kickin' it around the house. Yesterday, we cracked open a new DVD set we just purchased from the states. It's from a TV show called "24" -- none of us in this household had ever watched "24" but we have heard a lot about it... So, we bought Season 1, and are now already up to Episode 5 (that's 4:00am to 5:00am for those of you who know the whole 24-lingo).

Truth be told, one of the main reasons we decided to buy "24" is because of the favorable reviews that Drew has given it over time. We figure, "if Drew likes it, it must be good". Well, we'll soon let you know our thoughts on this whole "24" thing. (I do feel out of date -- seeing that this series started in 2001 and we are just now starting to watch!)

Well, it's time for us to hit the streets. It's rare that Kuala Lumpur traffic takes a holiday. And since I'm home and we have a car, now might be a nice time to cruise around a bit. We have to do something between "24" episodes....

greg

2 comments:

riniroo said...

Tell me how you like it. I too have never caught on to the craze. Enjoy your holiday with the girls and dog, it's very well deserved!
:-) Renee

uncle boy said...

Hi Greg,

Good to be home yea.. Yeap. CNY is really a big thing here. some companies are already close 1 week before the CNY and some are still on holiday until next week!... but some, like myself (and yourself) have come to work ;->

You just watched this 24 hours! thats ancient! wow... Its American TV series lah, and you just watched them...I start to wonder, are you really an American? hehehe.. joking lah! Its kinda old TV series... and I don't watch 24 these days. Enjoy watching!