OK, I know I've promised you (my 3 readers) a disclosure of some of the observations I've made since returning to the United States after having been away for seven months. I'm glad I waited a few extra days -- it's given me a chance to absorb more of what I see.
1. First things first: Americans are LARGE! I have gotten so used to the smaller size of people that are commonly seen in Asia. In general, the people of southeast Asia are 5' 7" or shorter. They also (generally) are proportioned accordingly. By vast contrast, it seems that the average American (male) is 6' 0" and 200+ pounds. I just can't believe how heavy so many of the people I see are. Yes, it was more apparent in Texas earlier in the week, but even here in southern California -- the folks are just (how do I put it nicely?) overweight. Everyone seems to have that "puffy" look to their bodies; moreso than what I see in Asia.
2. Food portions at restaurants are almost grotesquely enormous. What is with that? Seriously, when I received an entree at Pappadeaux on Monday, I thought it was a "family portion" for 3-4 people. I asked the server if he was sure this was what I ordered. Unbelievably, it was. How in the world one person could eat that much food I have no idea. I ate less than half, and even though I am running 4-5 days per week, I know I still can't burn enough calories to justify injesting that feast. No wonder we're looking at an obesity problem in the US.
3. Commercialism here in America is over the top. Everywhere I look there is an invitation to purchase something, rent something, upgrade something. The radio DJ was saying that putting down $200 for a new video iPod was nothing! I see endless ads everywhere telling me I have to whiten my teeth, zap away excess fat, boost my omega-3's, and increase my cardio. Not that Malaysia has anything on the US, but you just don't see such excesses promoted in countries where basic living is simpler. People actually CAN live on less than $10k per year and do just fine -- in other parts of the world. Here in the US doesn't even get you across the poverty line, and the economy is accelerated to the point that basic living probably requires triple the $10k.
4. Everything is FASTER, quicker, sleeker, streamlined, optimized here in the US. I had almost forgotten what a self-check-in kiosk looked like at the airport until I arrived at LAX in Los Angeles on Sunday. Asia doesn't go there yet -- it's all paper tickets all the time. And don't even think of online check-in / boarding passes. Just doesn't happen there. I am blown away by all the conveniences that surround life here. Drive thru Starbucks, online DVD rentals, self-service kiosks at the Post Office!! Life in Asia is far more manual, requires far more time, and forces one to be far more patient. I must seem like a slow poke here because I take a few beats longer to do anything. (Remembering my father ordering dinner at McDonald's comes to mind!)
5. Americans have a low tolerance for delay. Face it, people here are impatient. Whether it be an extra five minutes on the highway or two minutes waiting for the restaurant check, Americans expect service NOW, progress NOW, and action NOW. Not that there is anything wrong with this, because that is one of the cool traits about America that drives our economy to epic performance levels. However, it borders onto the excessive. Would it really be that horrible to wait an extra 3 minutes for the bill at the restaurant? Do you really have to be so annoyed by a delay at the check-out stand at Wal Mart? Hmmmm....
6. The American personality seems brash and almost cocky. I have gotten used to the Asian approach, which is far more reserved, far quieter, far "humbler". I drop into DFW Airport in Dallas, and I see aggressive, fast-paced, business suited entrepreneurs barking into blue-tooth enabled cell phones while cruising through the terminal. Just seems to be way too intense. Of course, I'm sure that's how I am perceived in Asia as well. It's just that now I see the progressing American as one who is running even faster, pushing even harder to drive that business model, get that order, meet that quota. Whoa. Again -- this is a good thing when it comes to maintaining the world's leading economy, but it does move fast and powerfully.
SO that's about it for now. I'm about to head out for my first trip to a Wal-Mart in seven months. Cheryl and the girls have given me a huge list of items to bring back to Malaysia. There are so many things we can't find anywhere (like Press-n-Seal, Visine, or even vanilla extract!). I brought two HUGE suitcases to the US, and am planning to bring them back full. Wish me luck on my Wal-Mart Adventure!!
P.S. I am typing this while sitting on a beautiful Mexican-style deck facing the Pacific Ocean at my San Diego hotel. It's 70 degrees out here, breezy, and not a single cloud in the sky. I am wearing shorts, sandals, and my over-worn tropical shirt. Yes, it is AMAZING out here, and a world of difference from my original homeland (Chicago) where I believe the temperature is about zero right now. Ouch. I'll bottle some of this gorgeous sunshine and send it over. I have to go inside now -- I've been out here for 20 minutes and think I might get a bit sunburned (my pale features will turn a delightful shade of red otherwise!)
P.P.S. It goes without saying, but GO BEARS. Although I will be cheering like crazy, I'm a well-informed fan, and know that this one is nowhere near automatic. Yes, 1986 was a gimme. This one will be tough. Hope for a strong D and a good Rex.
P.P.P.S Please jot down your comments to my American observations. I really would like your feedback. Hope this glimpse into my perspectives has been enjoyable. Thanks!
greg
14 comments:
Greg, I totally agree with what you are saying. Even visiting France for a little over a week this summer gave me that insight. It really puts things in perspective, for sure. Thanks for sharing your insight!
Jenna W.
(formerly of Buffalo Grove)
Great post. Have been abroad for over 3 years now and going back to the States can be quite overwhelming...and I'm not even in as different a culture as you are!
Definitely a chuckle at the impatience bit. Am in Britain and one of the arts here is queuing. Some Americans will never, ever understand...lol. And w/the attitude, I work in a customer service job where I often wind up speaking w/a person online before in person. When I get harassed and pushed around, I soon find when meeting up w/the person they are often American.
Long story short, definite agreement on your points! Cool that you have such a fresh perspective to it :) Hope you continue to enjoy your visit back!
Wow! how interesting. And these observations come only after seven months of absence...how strange this country will seem if you had been gone for several years! About the brash, cocky personality you described, it's very true and apparent. I live in the US and notice it every day.
Thank you SO much for this post! My new sister-in-law just moved here from the Philippines a few weeks ago and is making that TOUGH adjustment to life here. I'm going to email her the link to your blog so that she can read it for herself.
I was in her hometown for a week for their wedding. I also observed everything you said, in reverse, being in her country! You put it into words so well.
I got excited when I read your first sentence...thought you were back permanently and I would finally get to meet my fellow blogging Strider!! But I knew your wife just started back to school so I was confused. Now I understand... you came back to shop at Wally-world! hahahahahahaha
Pony = ))
I don't have time to respond to your BLOG. I'm eating McDonalds while placing an Amazon.com order for a thighmaster. I've also got my Bluetooth headset in my right ear in order to get tech support from India for my 2 DSL connections. My left ear has my IPOD playing some Black Eyed Peas. I'm also driving 75 mph right now in a 20 mph zone.
You silly foreigners just don't understand what it's like to be an American. :-)
Miss ya buddy,
Matt (aka M@)
p.s. Pete did a great job in the Deal or No Deal Man Choir this weekend!
Yes, especially in TX, we are quite large. I hope you guys can give me some "rules to live by" so my fam can beat the pressure here in the states.
On a low note, just finished watching the game. :-( Poor Bears...enjoyed the game...most of it though.... :-(
I made Bears t-shirts for my boys, I'll put them my blog tomorrow.
Enjoy the sun. This morning it was 45 but warmed up to probably high 60's. Jason, the boys and I were on the golf course, I left first, then the boys, and Jason played to the last 18. He came home with a sunburned face.
Thank Cheryl for the sari's. I opened one and was afraid of all the fabric. Maybe I can find do-it-yourself-sari-wrapping online....of course I can, I live in America! WAIT....I just typed "do it yourself sari wrapping" into Yahoo.com and got
"www.sarisafari.com/hownivi.html Sari Safari - How to Wrap a Sari
Give yourself enough room at the bottom to move your legs. ... There are limitless possibilities for wrapping a sari."
Gotta love progress!
Hugs and kisses to the girls!
Nee
Hey, and am I one of your special "3" readers? Oh the suspense.
I think Greg underestimates his amount of readers...this blog is excellent w/a bit of everything: the family love, sports action, adventures of work, travel, humour and many examples of how rich and rewarding life can be. Love it! Great job Greg! :)
Greg,
I hesitated to comment until now in case you were going to make a surprise visit to 921 for the SuperBowl. Oh, well, June's not too far away.
I loved all you had to say here. So true. We Americans are just too rude, too bold, too chubby. Still, I'm staying.
Thanks, hon, for your phonecall. Sorry we did not connect.
Love you, Mom
Greg, I had who ever reads my blog, check yours out. It was so true. Great insight. Love you. Aunt Gail
Greg,
I think everything you've said about Americans is true except for one part- being new to this tiny little remote country town I've just moved to, there's SUCH a HUGE difference in country living from city living. There are places in America (most of the country is rural, although most people live in cities) where time just slows down.
People are relaxed, they focus on providing for their family and their neighbors, going to Church on Sunday, putting in a hard day of work, and enjoying life around them.
I encourage anyone to try to spend a week out in a rural area (less than 4,000 people living in a 300 mile radius) and feel more at peace and calm than in the city.
Just start driving [your SUV] and when you get to the middle of nowhere, turn south about 40 miles.
Anna
Hi Greg. I've enjoyed reading your blog for well over a year now. I love reading about your family's life adventures.
I found your blog interesting, but noticed that a lot of your observations portrayed America in a rather negative light...well, besides your comments on the economy. I was curious though. Were there any postive differences that you observed?
Hey Greg,
I agree with your perspective also - my trips to Germany, Switzerland and Costa Rica with Willow along with vacations to various foriegn spots have shown me some of the things you have mentioned.
By the way I do read your blog...pretty regularly also. Does hat make the list 4 or is it 5 now?
I would like to get in touch with you - I have some work questions to ask. Look me up on Skype and we can exchange e-mail addresses.
-Steve S
Just to be clear. I love the US. I think we are the best nation in the world, bar none. My observations were mostly due to the difference between what I had grown accustomed to in Asia versus what I saw upon return. Sorry for any misrepresentation.
greg
hey cute,
you really got some interest going here, huh? i think it is good to keep in mind that some things only become apparent after they are gone, just like that sappy sentiment we hear in country songs.
we all feel so much more patriotic now, don't we? not just you and me, but ash and brooke have a better perspective of the freedoms and benefits afforded to us as citizens of a strong democracy as they observe a society without the same provisions. a country where the races and genders are generations away from equality in any sense of the word.
isn't that just one of the many reasons we took the chance?? i have never been more grateful-not just for the united states itself, but the western cultural values, and the ever-diminishing gender and racial discrimination that we strive for.
i would recommend a stint abroad to every single person i know, for it would make each of us proud to be americans. despite whatever faults or lack we experience in our country, i wouldn't want to be from anywhere else.
love you!
Post a Comment