07 January 2008

Want Fun? How 'Bout a NIGHT Marathon?


Yep, the headline is exactly right. No sooner had I completed my 6th week of training for the KL Marathon when the news was released that the marathon date was NOT March 16th, but March 30th. Unfortunately, we're going to be in Italy at that time, so it was time for a change in plans.


Enter the Inaugural Sundown Night Marathon! On the evening of May 31st, in Singapore, at midnight, the gun will go off, and several thousand people are going to be running into the night! I think this is a fantastic idea. Running here on the equator in Southeast Asia has always been a pain: the heat and humidity never let up, and you're left feeling too hot no matter the time of year. However, the evenings actually feature temperatures below 80 degF (27 degC), the wind is generally calmer, and NO SUN!
I am happy (actually excited!) to announce that there will not be one, but THREE Bonciminos running in the inaugural Sundown Night Marathon. Both Ashley and Cheryl have decided to take the plunge! All three of us are registered and have paid our fees! Brooke will be coming to Singapore as well, but as a cheerleader (probably with additional folks in tow). This will be Cheryl's second marathon, and Ashley's FIRST. Not only that, but Ashley will be graduating from high school the day before (May 30th) at the reasonable hour of 7pm.
Life wouldn't be normal without another Boncimino Adventure, don't you think?! So, here we go: Ashley graduates on a Friday, then we haul down to Singapore on Saturday for a MIDNIGHT marathon. How fun.
Houston Striders (i.e. Steve S): I hope you have room in a future Stridelines for this scoop! Please go ahead and list this in your "Striders Training for a Future Race" section. Since Ashley is about to enter journalism school at Northwestern, perhaps we should have HER write the story this time!!
Gotta run. Time to catch another flight....
greg
P.S. Ashley (my eldest!) turns 18 on January 24th. Life will not be the same....

7 comments:

chryl said...

...so many cliches, so little time. yes, the marathon will be a cool memory for us but the highlight of the weekend is Ashley's accomplishment of completing her high school career. after homeschool, public school, private school, three states, two countries... the weekend belongs to her!

aren't you so proud? we did well even though i was only 12 when she was born.... =]

xoxo

Steeeve said...

Hey Greg - The 3 Boncimino's will be returning to the pages of Stridelines commencing February!

Barb K said...

Okay, now I am thinking this is a great target date for Grandpa Pete and I to mosey to KL and Singapore!
We could be at graduation (or at least standing outside the auditorium with our noses pressed against the glass!) and see Ashley get her diploma. From there, we could hitchhike to Singapore with Brooke to coach/cheerlead the marathoners. Now that would be some trip. And FYI walking though the night 20 miles is something I have done twice. Not a marathon, for sure, but a real stretch for me. The first AFSP walk was in the middle of a brutally hot Chicago summer. If it were not held at night, I doubt so many could have finished at all.

And yes, Cheryl, it is so amazing considering your youth and the fact that I am Ashley's grandmother and was only 20 when she was born :) Love to you all,
Mom, Grandma Barb

Anonymous said...

WOW! You guys are amazing! A family marathon- that is so cool.
Miss you all tons!

Yvette said...

A midnight marathon sounds very cool, but even cooler is that you will have your wife and oldest daughter running it too!!!!

Linda said...

What awesome memories you are making! Good luck to all of you and Congrats to Ashley on her graduation!

~Linda

Stacy said...

Okay Greg, while I admire your drive, I have to admit the idea of running a marathon, especially at night does not sound like my kind of fun....LOL But, none the less, I wish all three of you the best of luck! Can't wait to see the pictures