Just wanted to drop a quick update here. Our move to the flashy new condo has been a whirlwind of boxes, paper, late nights, and hectic transition. Amongst the usual stress that any move brings, Cheryl and I have been saddled with another, most unfortunate event:
One of the men with the moving company stole Cheryl's wedding ring AND her engagement ring AND a gold/emerald ring given to her by her father! Yes, we are torn up about this; and Yes, we have taken this to the authorities and the moving company; Yes, we have searched to make sure the three gold rings were not "lost". We did it all. Unfortunately, the reality is that the rings have been stolen, and we no longer have her rings -- THE rings I gave her 19 years ago on Sept 9, 1989. Yes. It sucks.
The gold/emerald ring from her father was another valuable ring. Cheryl had had it for over ten years, and it was probably the most valuable (only?) real jewelry we owned. We're not big jewelry people, but the few items we did have are now gone.
On the bright side, this is just "stuff". It can be replaced. The moving company was kind enough to write a check for some of its value (about 2/3). Still, the part that hurts is that these rings were worth so much more to us in sentimental value. Bummer.
greg
p.s. I have been in San Diego for a week now (receiving some executive coaching and leadership training), and then will be in Dallas all next week. It's nice to be back in the US, even just for this short period.
5 comments:
GREG, I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE JEWELRY. MAYBE WHO EVER STOLE IT WILL GIVE IT BACK OUT OF GUILT.
I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU GUYS TO MOVE BACK HERE. IN THE STATES...WE MISS YOU....LOVE, AUNT GAIL
Greg, I am sorry that happened!
:( I am agreeing with Gail and hoping whoever took it is feeling horribly guilty and will give the rings back.
Hope you're getting settled in the new place well, other than that, and that everything else goes smoothly.
Blessings from Virginia Beach,
Meg
Greg,
I am glad we got to talk yesterday. I am so sad about the lost rings; it is emotional on many levels.
As you said, of course, these are mere things, stuff, but the loss makes you sad no matter. I wear Grandpa B's wedding band on my left hand next to my wedding ring and I know if I lost it, I'd feel horrible...Praying for you and the rest of your trip and for the girls back home.
Love you, Mom
Greg,
I felt a mini punch in the stomach when I read about Chyrl's rings. Nothing compared to what she endured, and you too of course! What a helpless and violated feeling!!!! Grrrrr!!!! Please pass this along to Cheryl for me. I miss her soooooo much! (I miss the whole crazy lot of you!) And pease ask her forgiveness for me - since I never write or skype or, or, or... i have no excuse other than being busy.
Love, Shannon "Farr-i-ay"
I too lost all my jewelry (except my wedding ring-it was on my finger and I was out of the country) during a robbery 10 years ago at our house. Everything that had ever meant anything to me was gone. It's horrible. But after 2 floods you start to realize that it is all just stuff. That you can hold your loved one and have the health of your family...that's what matters. The man that did this will get his due in the end.
I'm glad you guys are safe.
Post a Comment