I am just so tired.
After spending another four days this week in Thailand (cities of Bangkok and Rayong), getting too little sleep, not being able to catch up on my email, and not getting to spend any time at home, I am taking the day off today -- Friday. I don't want to do much except spend time w/ Cheryl and Brooke. Ashley is in Indonesia for an XC meet.
Would you believe that over the last 3 weeks, I have had a total of 15 minutes with Ashley when we've both been (a) awake, and (b) in the same country? It's not like we're just busy here in KL. No, I've been out of town, and when I come home for the weekend (for the past 3 weeks), she has gone on school trips. This is not too good.
At work, I'm averaging over 150 email (incoming) per day, and there are another dozen "important" tasks I should really be spending my time on. I probably just READ email about 4 hours per day. Of that, 3.5 hours is rather irrelevant to my assignment, but I'm "copied" on the correspondence. Argh. I'm trying to take tactful steps to change this.
I am still churning out marathon prep mileage: 4 miles on Mon, 8 more on Tues, 4 more on Wed, off day Thurs, and then just ran 8 miles this morning (8:24 pace hooray). Tomorrow is a 17-miler. Oh joy. I need to make sure the iPod is charged -- it's my only hope.
I haven't allowed my brain to absorb what has happened w/ Katie and Tommy. I know that I will -- I won't stuff it, but I just haven't allocated the mental processing time. I need to be "sitting down" first.
I have had several overwhelming bouts of disbelief about Laurie this past week. As I have sat on too many airplanes, trains, buses, taxis, etc. I think back and remember. Images of her throwing herself, tied up w/ duct tape, into Lake Michigan haunt me. Memories of our "search and rescue" flood my mind. The horrified looks in the eyes of my mom and Pete, my siblings, my wife, and my daughters. Not even to mention Scott. The thoughts of utter devastating loss and of disappointment, then of fear -- that others would do the same. No, I'm still not done processing.
All this hit home in another way when I saw a fatality accident on Wednesday in Thailand. One of the many high-risk motorcyclists had his luck run out, as an 18-wheeler caught his back wheel at 70 mph on a Thai highway. The guy was run over and killed instantly. I saw the mangled body loaded into a cheap white tyvec bag, with the body outline painted onto the road right next to it. There's a family in Thailand whose father won't be coming home this week. Somewhere a wife is crying out, and some kids are dazed and confused. Life is again so vivid when you see how terribly fragile it is.
And I see fragility all around me. The risk and adventure we're taking here in Asia. Living in a Muslim country during the middle of their holiest month -- Ramadan. We need protection that only OUR God can provide. We need support only prayer can solicit. We need... no, __I__ need to know God is here, that He accepts me, and that He is STILL in charge.
ready to rest
greg
7 comments:
I am always praying for you and your families safety Greg. As are many others who love you all. GOD IS IN CONTROL. love, Aunt Gail
Greg, you are in our thoughts and prayers.
May God's word uphold and sustain you during these times of stress:
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous; do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
In His Love,
Mr.& Mrs. Goodmiller
Hang in there. We are praying for you and your family.
Love,
Old neighbors...Joe, Jeannette, et al
Greg,
I hear your frustration between the lines. Know again that the God of all creation cares specifically about YOU and your life.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Love you, Mom
Greg: God hears every prayer of the mind and the heart. He is a faithful God. Please know my prayers and blessings for you and your girls are always in my mind and heart. Oh, how I want to ask you to come home now! But we all struggle within until we finally give over to Him. I love you, God Bless You, Come home soon. Mom
Greg,
I am with you. Not just ten minutes ago I was watching a dvd of Jimmy Buffet at Wrigley Field Labor Day 2005. They showed a shot of Navy Pier and my mind immediately shot to Laurie. I feel so much for her through you even though I never had the priviledge to meet her. God was working right there. Because here I am reading your blog - reading about her.
So what are the right words to say, I wish I could call you guys up right now (but you're not online) and give some good ole' Texas lovin'.
Just know that God has his plan and we're all a part of it. Thank you for being a part of the Mass family's life.
Love, Renee
Oh dad -
I simply wanted to cry when I read about the accident in Thailand - we don't realize how often things like that happen, how easy it is to make a single, crucial mistake that results in such permanent consequences. This realization makes me realize how valuable life is, and how every single moment we have together needs to be chrished and remembered. I love you so much and thank you for being so supportive of me and my activities this year - traveling and participating with these other amazing international students has been wonderful. You are still important to me too, and I hope to have more time at home with you and Brooke and mom as XC season comes to an end.
Incidentally, I've been thinking about aunt laurie more often lately as well, about how she felt, what was going through her mind that caused her to forget everything, everyone, around her who cared. I'm not sure I can talk to my friends at school about all of this yet (though the entire story, if they cared to loo for it, is only a google away) but I'm glad that we're able to be so open about everything within our family - we are truly a fantastically unified team, and I'm so glad to be a part of that!!
I love you from here to the moon and back, and again and again and again...
-Ashley
Post a Comment