I believe that one of the most significant contributors to how a person is shaped is defined by his or her thought life. These days with all the hours I'm spending running and commuting, I have the opportunity to be almost surgically attached to my iPod. In fact, I am going to open up a new theory -- that you can tell an awful lot about a person just by seeing what is on his or her iPod (or radio or CD player, etc). The point is -- what you put into your mind is going to be formative in your development, whether you're 15 years old or 57 years old.
So, I'd like to reveal the kinds of things that are on my iPod, so that you can learn more about me. I think I will do this over a few posts, if that's OK.
I'm currently LOVING listening to podcasts, and specifically those which are essentially church sermons or messages from Christian leaders whom I respect and trust. Here are four such podcasts I listen to CONSTANTLY:
Radio Free WoodsEdge
-- WoodsEdge Community Church --
I listened to an amazing message from a good friend of mine, Jeff Wells (pastor of WoodsEdge) this morning during my run. The message is entitled, "Thirst for God" (from 14-15 Oct), and is the quintessential Jeff Wells. Please download and listen to this message, if you have a spare 33 minutes. I am finding that these days Jeff's messages are inspiring me and shaping me in new ways that have really refreshed my perspective. Cheryl and I helped start WoodsEdge Church about 14 years ago, and it is amazing to see how that church was developed WITHOUT us. Wow.
Cy Fair Christian Church
I listen to our former pastor, Ron Lewis, every week. Ron has an amazing and disarming method of teaching. He is funny, but also extremely perceptive and right on target. We miss CFCC so much, and are happy that we can still stay in touch via the weekly podcast.
Creative Pastors Podcast
-- Fellowship Church --
This is a weekly message series from Ed Young, Jr, pastor of an amazing church near Dallas, Texas. I think they average around 25,000 persons in attendance per week. Ed's teaching is cutting edge, fully contemporary, hard hitting, and yet funny and provocative. I love how God is using Ed's messages to shape me each week.
Defining Moments Podcast
-- Willow Creek Association --
Willow Creek Community Church does not have a weekly message podcast (that I know of), but they do publish a monthly blurb for the Christian leader. The podcasts are usually in interview format, and only represent 12-15 minutes of content (paid subscriptions yield longer content). Even though this is just a monthly podcast, I still look forward to it -- at about the 15th of every month.
I want to allow myself to be shaped by content such as the above. I really do not relish the idea of putting trash into my mind. I'd rather be fueled and challenged -- intellectually and spiritually. What things do you put into your mind to challenge and fuel yourself? I'd love to hear.
Stay tuned... Next time I'll reveal more about what's on my iPod (and going through my mind)!!!
greg
2 comments:
Hey Greg - we have been enjoying John Ortberg podcasts from Menlo Park Presby. Church and Rob Bell at Mars Hill. We'll check these out as well! - Christina J
You rock dude!
Post a Comment