22 October 2006

What's on Your iPod - Part 3

Well, I don't know that this little series on what we listen to has been a "hit", but I've had a decent time writing about what flies from my iPod on a routine basis. I guess I have been listening for hundreds of hours on end, and this is a nice chance to respond (at last!)

Today's topic is what I want to call sports and entertainment listening. I have a whole additional category of podcasts to which I subscribe that keep me connected to the worlds of sports (to a major degree) and entertainment (to a much lesser degree). Here are the podcasts on my iPod that fit this description: (All podcasts below are, once again, available for FREE subscripition through iTunes, so I've left out most of the links.)

ESPN Radio Daily Podcast
As mentioned yesterday, this cast gives me my daily sports update. It's kind of a half news show, half interviews, so I like it. The focus is on the primary American sports, which is great. I really enjoy this show. It's daily, and about 30 minutes long.

Cubscast - Chicago Cubs Podcast
This is where I get my behind-the-scenes updates on the Cubs. Cubscast consists of three guys, probably all in their mid to late 20's, who love to talk about what is happening with the Cubs -- my well-publicized favorite baseball team. Lou, Sheps, and Sneetch (their names) cover the previous weeks-worth of games, then break them down in their own unique way. It's pretty funny to listen to their comments, especially considering how horrible the Cubs performed last year. However, they are eternally optimistic, and always find a way to keep hope alive. They publish 2-3 times per week sometimes, and I have been a listener for well over a year.

The FredCast Cycling Podcast
Ahh, my cycling fix is satisfied here. A "fred" is a term used to describe a dedicated, hard-core bicycle rider. This podcast is designed with the bicycle enthusiast in mind. The host covers cycling news, racing updates worldwide, LOTS of commentary on doping / Tour de France / Floyd Landis / etc. He also gives some tips and pointers, as well as recommending new products. The cast is now weekly, but has been published twice per week in the past. Each show is closed with some "pod safe" cycling music, which is always fun to run/cycle to. This is about the best cycling-focused podcast I've found.

EndurancePlanet.com Interviews
This is a podcast devoted to endurace sports, like marathon running, triathlon, distance cycling, mountain biking, etc. The cast consists of interviews with coaches, athletes, and others from around the world of endurance sports. Since I am into both distance running and distance cycling, I usually tune in from time to time to see what's up. It gets crazy when they interview ultra marathoners, like Dean Karnazes, who routinely run 50, 100, 150 miles or MORE at a single time. No, that's not for me....

MLB Radio Daily
I like to stay current with Major League Baseball, so I listen to this from time to time, but this show gets too deep and too long-winded, even for me. Imagine a 30 minute interview with a baseball general manager, just to discuss his prospects at second base (only)... The show can be a bit dry, but really sparkles when they bring on a Hall of Famer for an interview.

Armchair Survivor
OK, now here somes the "entertainment" portion of my podcast world. Cheryl and I actually enjoy watching CBS' Survivor TV show. Here in Malaysia, we have paid for an Internet download through iTunes, so we download each episode of the actual show a couple of days after airdate in the U.S., then we watch it (commercial free!) here. The whole season was something like $19.99. Armchair Survivor is not sponsored by CBS -- it's just a 45 minute show produced by a married couple from Ohio. They discuss each week's show, make predictions, groan about things they didn't like, and marvel about things they did. I can't say that the show is "great", but it's free, and it helps keep my mind occupied while running, etc. Nice background if you like the Survivor TV show.

Best of Matty in the Morning
There is a morning radio show in Boston, I think on KISS 108, that features your typical morning banter / comedy / human interest combo. This podcast just consists of short 4-5 minute clips from the radio show. Most of the clips are very funny. Several topics get off-color, but for the most part, these DJ's are quite funny. The show will publish 5-6 new clips per week, sometimes all at once, sometimes just here and there. Worth the listen if you like to laugh.

Well, that's about it for another "WOYI" (what's on your iPod) post. I'd love to hear if any out there have additional sports / entertainment recommendations for me. Could be nice to put something fresh on my player.

greg

P.S. Steve -- Yes, I have been receiving your copies of Stridelines newsletter! Thanks!

P.P.S. Just as a news update: Renee Mass has a blog, and we want her to start posting in it. Please visit her site here, and make a post. OK, Renee, time to start writing.... :-)

4 comments:

riniroo said...

That is soooo wrong! I was supposed to be able to forgot that blog ...and that I even had time to add to it. Now I've been ratted out...from across the world.
I guess payback will be posting any goofy pics I have of Greg and Cheryl (aka my fan base) on my oh so popular blog. Keep watching San Diego, pics to come soon.
Hee, hee, hee.

Anonymous said...

I found her! I found her! Gee, I guess that now she'll have to actually ....post something. *waiting with anticipated breathe*.

Take Care,

Jeannette

P.S. Love the pod posts! Question: What paper do you read?

riniroo said...

Okay Greg, posted a bunch of pics. Are you happy?
Nee

riniroo said...

..and I sent you and Cheryl a snapfish link to the TexRenFest pics. Wish you were there!!!!!
Nee again