Well, it's now Sunday in Malaysia -- meaning that Mother's Day has arrived. Mother's Day is not a big holiday here. In fact, if you weren't tied into US news links, you wouldn't even know it was here. It's not celebrated at all, as far as I can tell. However, we ALL know this means nothing where it counts -- back home where our mothers rightly deserve their due thanks and appreciation. On Saturday, Cheryl and I did our weak best in ordering gifts online -- for later delivery to our mothers back in the States. I think it will work out... ;-)
I'm not planning to call my awesome mother until 18-20 hours from now. It will be my first chance to call her from the Middle East! Yep, you heard it right. I'm in the Kuala Lumpur airport right now, and I'm about to get on an overnight flight to Dubai, United Arab Emirates. This will by my first trip to that far off land, and will be another country to add to the list... UAE is a relatively quiet country. Although it's neighbors are Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran, and Iraq, you don't hear much from it. You may have seen the legendary SEVEN-STAR hotel in UAE in photos. NO, I won't be staying there. Instead I'll be at a much more humble place, but I'm sure it will be quite nice. I've heard there is sand surfing nearby, and I intend to see if the fabled INDOOR desert ski resort in UAE really exists! If it does, I'm skiing there no matter what. I haven't skiied in years, and if I can do it indoors in the middle of a 100 degreeF desert, then all the better!!
Yes, I will be safe, and yes, I will maintain a low profile. I'm going there for meetings with a large multi-national oil company. I have a couple of big presentations to make, but other than those, I'm sure the meetings will be a success (!). I brought my camera, and will try to post some photos from UAE. My three (!) readers tend to enjoy seeing pictures from places I visit. (Renee, maybe I can start a Dubai Daily Photo site....)
greg
6 comments:
Hey, Greg,
Count me as one of the three readers. I appreciate that you will be maintaining a low profile though that sounds difficult at 6'.
And I look forward to your call. That will be awesome! The flowers arrived a few hours ago and they are BEAUTIFUL! Thank you. I will take a pic and send it along.
Love you and am so glad I pushed you out of my uterus 38 years ago.
Mom
Yes, yes, a daily photo site from coutries that you travel to would be greatly appreciated by the community. Thanks for the plug! Have fun!
Barb, great uterus reference. How often do you get to manage that word in polite conversation? I'm laughing.
riniroo (reader #2)
As reader #3 I encourage you to bring along some sunscreen and leave the umbrella at home. The forcast is in the hundreds every day with a 0% chance of precipitation.
-Matt
"Chopped Liver" reader numero 4! That's ok.... i don't mind being left out of the count. I can take it.
I am proud to announce that when I asked (tested) Caleb and Coleman - "who can tell me where United Arab Emirates is located?" They answered with out hesitation - "the Middle East" !! Yay! They are indeed learning something. Have fun skiing. Try not to get any sand down the back of your neck when you fall. JK
Reader #5...Petey goes to Dubai almost every month! No, he doesn't stay in the 7-star hotel either...
He feels totally safe there...very western mentality amd atmosphere. And at 6'3", he sticks out too = )
Have fun!
Lesari numer 6! I really enjoy lesa postinn thinn og skoda myndirnar of you and your ladies. It was a nice surprice ad hitta thig at church. Eg er ad vinna ad improving my communication skills. Just byrjadi blogging fyrir few vikum ago. You liklega understand ekki mikid but allir skilja pictures! You might lika enjoy minir health nuggets.
Goda trip!
~Fjola
Post a Comment