05 May 2007

To The United States and Back

Well, it has again been quite some time since my last post. It really hasn't been because I don't WANT to post, it's just that I haven't had any discretionary time to post. Since my last writing, I have taken another trip (my third of the year) to the United States and back. This one required me to play the role of tour guide, as I hosted some customers of ours from Thailand.

During the whirlwind nine days, I saw my way through the following places / events: tour of our Dallas overhaul facility, tour of our Mabank (Texas) refurbishment facility, the Mesquite (Texas) rodeo, a dinner at the top of Reunion Tower (Dallas), golf at Tour 18 (Dallas -- and no, I'm not a big golfer, so this wasn't as much of a thrill as you might think!), Space Center Houston (Texas), The Galleria (Houston, TX), Cy-Fair Christian Church (Texas), Gas Lamp District (San Diego, CA), tour of our two SD-based manufacturing plants, bay cruise in San Diego, dinner in Coronado (California), etc, etc….

The trip actually was quite exhausting, but the things that really stand out are things like this:

The Value of Friends. I made a surprise visit to our former church on Sunday. It was so so great to see friends again. Cy-Fair Christian Church is just a HOME for us. Everything about being there was good. The music, the hospitality, the message (yay-Ron), the service quality – it felt like home. Afterward, I had the pleasure of having lunch with several friends, where, again, it was fun to remember some of the times – and learn what is going on now. After church, I wanted to visit our old neighborhood to make another set of surprise visits, but just ran out of time. (So sorry, J & R!!). The trip really gave me a taste of how fun it is going to be this summer to bring A, B, and C back to the states WITH me for our long awaited home leave.

The Joy of Running. I managed to get 7 workouts in despite the hectic pace. Of these, I had the best time running through beautiful Balboa Park twice. The scents of the springtime flowers was amazing, as was the pleasure of running in 60 degF temperatures! Wow…. I also ran across the bridge that goes across Hwy 163 toward the SD Zoo. How fun. Running releases stress in me (and also helps keep my weight from ballooning out of control due to the effects of eating while entertaining…)

Ashley took the SAT this morning. Just another step in that process of moving onward and upward. It was so fun to drive her and her friend to the exam site, working to keep them calm and foster good “brain” thoughts, along with a helpful strategy or two. I’m sure she did just fine. We’ll soon see….

Over the next month until we leave for our vacation, I have trips lined up to Thailand (twice), The Philippines, United Arab Emirates (my first trip to the Middle East in over a decade!), East Malaysia, and Singapore. Yes, it will be nice to take a vacation after all that travel. Cheryl and the girls are finishing their Spring semesters, then we’ll be ready to go…. What fun ahead!

greg

3 comments:

riniroo said...

so glad you had a good time...see you soon!
R (of J & R)

Barb K said...

Hey, Greggy,
Two more days til your BIRTHDAY! Assuming my calculations are correct (And they better be. I was there when you were born!)you are coming up on 38 years old. What an amazing life you have had to this point and it just seems to get more amazing all the time! We cannot wait til the family visit in June. I think we will celebrate everyone's birthdays while you are here.
Katie and the kids were at the Cubs game yesterday. Six wins in a row! Wow.

Love and miss you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I've been to SD and it sure is beautiful, Im sure that was a nice point of your trip-the flowers and all the beauty that there is there. Contuinued health and success to you and the ladies.