21 March 2005

Peering Into The Mind of a Teenager

Today my heart is aching for my two amazing daughters, Ashley and Brooke. Since this all began, Cheryl and I have stated how concerned we are that our girls find good outlets for discussing their feelings and thoughts. To them, Laurie was more like a big sister than an aunt. So, how does a teenager cope when their model of a big sister decides to do something so drastic? As Ashley has said, "there's no category for that".

Last night we had a family date. We went to the place where all well-adjusted families go for heart-to-heart discussion -- the local Denny's. Somewhere over decaf coffee and decadent Apple Crisp, we soon realized that the girls' friends really hadn't been "there" for them. No probing questions, no cards or notes, no offers to "just stop by". In short, not a whole lot of support. However, we really did not expect a lot of input from the girls' friends -- they're just as traumatized as our girls are, and are probably choosing the safer route by avoiding the subject.

However, as a result, Ash and Brooke seem to be feeling quite low. We suggested that they open the door to discussion by encouraging their friends to approach, but this is a lot to ask a teenager to do. We understand it's awkward and kind of embarrassing. We hope that the girls will take up several offers from adult friends and family members to open up real discussions / email conversations, etc. This could work out great, but requires energy and commitment from both sides. Since we're down in Houston, it's not very easy for distant aunts and uncles to connect.

So, I'm back to where I started this morning -- praying for my girls. I'm specifically praying that they will each find a safe person to open up to. We will be seeing a counselor soon, but the girls also need to talk with someone not being paid by the hour. I'm praying that God will provide in a huge way. Through such persons, HE can communicate hope and comfort in ways that a parent can't. Please work here God. We need you.

Greg

2 comments:

Bigger than Me said...

Greg, you are such a cool dad! I am so crazy about your girls, and so astounded by each of them. I break thinking about the physical distance between us, but I have mad a pinky swear with those girls that I will not get out of their hair! Please know that 2000 miles away, your girls have people praying like crazy, and blessed like crazy to be let in bit by bit to their lives. I love you!
Katie

Barb K said...

Greg, It is amazing to see you put on paper the things I longed for when your dad left. I prayed for someone to come into your life and Chris' and Katie's to fill the gap I could not fill. Sometimes that happened, Paul Harshaw, Uncle Jim Wendt, Paul Luedtke, Shayna Herzig for Kate. Roy Honneger. I just prayed...I will be praying again for Ashley and Brooke and you and Cheryl too. It's just so hard and scary. I think about how amazing you turned out. That is God, only God...I love you all. Mom