You would have kept those words there on your tongue,
If you had known the hurt they had done.
While your fists stay by your side,
Your words bruise me deep inside.
I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones,
Than the words you say to me.
'Cause I know bruises heal, and cuts will seal,
But your words beat the life from me.
Sometimes your words are thick as lead,
You swing them strong upside my head.
But what hasn't killed has made me strong,
So I'll take my scars and move along.
I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones,
Than the words you say to me.
'Cause I know bruises heal, and cuts will seal,
But your words beat the life from me.
Goodbye is the best way that I know,
To forgive and still be letting go.
I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones,
Than the words you say to me.
'Cause I know bruises heal, and cuts will seal,
But your words beat the life from me.
The words above are the lyrics to "Sticks and Stones" by Dave Barnes. I've listened to this song maybe five times today. I can't get it out of my head because I think this reflects what Laurie would say. My heart is so heavy, and I feel broken again. This is agony ..... again.
Why did people close to Laur choose to beat life from her with their words? Wow, that looks pretty scathing doesn't it? But that's exactly my feeling today. Raw, uncut, real. People (whom I won't name) chose to bludgeon Laur with words that hurt beyond measure. What a mess.
I can't end this blog with some kind of upbeat resolution. Sorry. It's not in me. Instead, just look at the last two lines of the song then you tell me how powerful words can be.
'Cause I know bruises heal, and cuts will seal,
But your words beat the life from me.
3 comments:
Hi Greg- Jessica Wilson here. I am so deeply sorry for what you're going through. I read some of your writings. It seems that you and some of your other family members- including Laurie, have a gift with words. I love writing too so I appreciate lyrical thought. It's so neat to see a family sharing their pain and encouraging each other through your postings. What a great example of hope you guys must be to others. I am certainly intrigued by Laurie's life and impressed by her faith. Her testimony truly defines who she was and is. I love you and Cheryl so much- love "jesserca"
Greg, and really all of you. I have been reading some of your blogs and some from Ashely and Cheryl. I never really have experienced someone that close dying. So i sit here totally incapable of doing the right thing. Or the appropriate thing. So at the risk of being clueless and saying the wrong things, I just want to say I am sorry for what you area ll going through.
There are no answers to any questions that you all might be asking. Who can make sense out of senselessness? But on this night before Easter, we remember that death is the enemy...an enemy that is ruthless and and enemy that will beat us all. Tomorrow, we celebrate the only One that beat this enemy. It is the only hope for us.
I am sorry for what your girls are going through. I never imagined the effect this would have on them. Nothing seems fair. So I pray for you and ask God to make sense out of senselessness. Or maybe better yet, to turn your night into daylight again. Or better still, to walk with you and for you to feel His presence. Nothing else really matters.
May God grant you and your family peace.
Paul
Greg-a, This whole chain of events has left me feeling very disconnected to you guys. It seems like there's so much we should do for you, yet, what can we really do besides pray and be here to cry (and scream) with you.
I so understand the pain, frustration, anger, and confusion and how they coexist in your heart right now. When my fiance died, the pain was indescribable. I didn't know pain existed on such a level. It's horrible, and I'm so sorry that you have to experience it. This is going to be a long road.
Can I pass on some thoughts from experience? Just take this one day at a time right now. The future will take shape through God's loving hands as your heart is healing. Because you're healing, as it unfolds you'll face it with a different perspective than you have today. Deal with today, it's quite enough to deal after all.
Your blog is wonderful - I appreciate your honesty about how much this experience sucks, but your great statements of faith are what really stands out.
We love you and are praying for you, Cheryl, the girlies, and the rest of your family.
Post a Comment