
I've been back from the awesome serving opportunity in Costa Rica for about 3 weeks now. I really haven't had a chance to write about what I learned from the experience, and how it affected me -- especially in the context of dealing with our grief. If I had to boil it down, here's what I believe I learned:
1. God is a restorative being. He wants to put me back together in ways even better than before. He does not want to keep me on the shelf "for later use". This is all part of HIS plan.
2. Loving others requires serving. Laurie demonstrated this through her life -- her actions. Love with words only is not really love. And when I do serve, doing so with the right attitude is the whole ballgame. The gains of serving are invalidated if I have a bitter or begrudging heart. Thank you, Lord, for giving me the opportunity to serve in Costa Rica!
3. Do only what matters. Serving others after grieving a huge loss causes me to see the value of investing in the important rather than the trivial. I don't know the number of my days, so I need to use every one of them with strategy and purpose.
4. The need to connect. I need to engage in community with others on a regular basis. This will help me in the following ways: I will grow, I will be able to encourage others, and I will continue to realize the purpose that God has for me.
5. Thankfulness. I am so thankful that I was able to spend 7 quality days with this amazing team from Willow: Matt Wilkerson, Scott Ragsdale, Tim Giordino, Alex Giordino, Tim Christoff, Todd Gorton, Greg Sanderson, Ann Sinclair, Chelsea Whiting, Cathleen Berglund, Mike Smart, and Mauricio Silas.
The trip was an amazing learning experience, and a vital part of my healing.
greg
4 comments:
Greg, I love how you write. With a thankful, happy heart. I am glad God is working on you so much. Your trip sounded truly great. It sounds like you got stuff in order. I am sure friends, the beauty of Costa Rica, fellowship and being away helped you heal just a little more. Do only what matters. yep.....love ya Greg.
Greg... I just read Kim's blog:
http://simplyme322.blogspot.com/
Then flipped over to yours... it must be more than mere coincidence?
See her blog from this morning...
I love you, Sweet. Thanks for writing (now, let's talk!).
C
Greg...
Crazy... did you do work in Fraijanes then?!
Thanks for the words of encouragement... it means a lot. I pray for you and your whole family... you are such an amazing family with an immense faith in God. Thank you for praying for me as well...
I pray that God would continue to heal you as your back from Costa Rica as well...
~Kim
P.S. How is the indoor gym coming along these days?
Post a Comment