This weekend is the long awaited event: The Overnight is a 20-mile walk that begins at 7pm July 16th, and continues through the night, ending sometime around 4:30am on July 17th. Although Cheryl and I cannot make it up to Chicago for the event, I am so incredibly proud of every one on the team who has committed to do this. From raising funds, to training, to raising suicide awareness -- everyone on the team has gone way beyond the call of duty. I am awed by the level of dedication by this amazing team.
Many of us are not actually doing the walk, but if there is any way you can: GO DOWNTOWN AND CHEER THIS WEEKEND. Here are some details you will need to know: Click Here.
In case you didn't believe suicide was a major problem in our country, here are a few facts for you:
- Every 18 minutes someone in the U.S. dies by suicide.
- Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for young adults aged 15 to 24.
- More than 20 million Americans suffer from depression, more than coronary heart disease (7 million), cancer (6 million) and AIDS (200,000) combined.
I ache every day when I wake up and realize that Laurie is no longer here. It is a difficult, grueling battle to stay on top of this emotionally. Just yesterday I realized again that I am so far away from being "over this".
So, this week I will pray for and try to encourage the faithful Overnight walkers. Raising suicide awareness will save lives -- depression is treatable. This is a noble cause.
In awe of the Laurie's Legacy team,
greg
For More Information: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
1 comment:
Yahoo, Greg,
Thanks for continuing to get the word out and putting us over the $40K mark. We are getting more and more excited about the Overnight each day. I know this will be one uplifting journey to be on. And you are right, this team is made up of heroes, everyday, ordinary people who are standing, (walking, actually) with us. I had a major crash land last night, grieving La yet, again, and it was one of the team members who really barely knew Laur who really reached out to me. I am in awe.
Ilove you, handsome. Mom
Post a Comment