07 June 2006

Happy Birthday, Laur

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Happy birthday, Laur. Today would have been your 22nd birthday. You would have been "legal" for a year now, and would have a pile of stories to share about the past year. You would have had the chance to see your nephews and nieces growing up, and you'd have been able to goof around at LGYC just a few more times.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Laur, I still miss you as much as ever. I have no idea why you chose your way out the way you did. I've long realized that logic just doesn't matter here. The point is that you DID choose your own way out, and we've had to cope with that for 15 months now. The ripple effect of your choice is still churning -- Mom is so heartbroken. Katie is reeling and trying to come to grips with how this leaves her (amidst the added complexity of bipolar disorder). I'm sure Chris still has long, soulful stares out the window of the train on his way to work. Kristin is having to navigate these college years without you on her shoulder for support and life-giving encouragement. Pete is trying to be the ever-present glue keeping everyone together, and time is taking its toll. We're getting ready for a big overseas move, and deep within our energy spent packing and boxing is a constant ache that you are missing from it all. I still just don't have an understanding of why you jumped in on that bitter cold night in March '05.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But, we're still moving along -- because we must. You are missed so deeply, and time is certainly not "healing" our wound. We have learned how to deal with the void you left, but that does not make it any "better". How I wish we'd be calling you to say Happy Birthday today. Instead, I'll just post this stupid blog entry. This afternoon I'll be at the Cubs game here in Houston. Wish you could've been here to share it with me. You're missed, Laur. More than you could have ever known.

love,
greg

3 comments:

Barb K said...

Great post, Gteg; like always, from your heart.
Love you, Mom

Jackie R. said...

Greg,
I agree - great post. It has been a while since a post just brought me to tears and this one did - so heartful and real. Praying for you and all of the ladies - I have been following along with all the crazyness of your move as well! Keep pressing on.

Anonymous said...

Hey mr. B i just found out about your sister Laurie. im really sorry about that how she decided to *go* the way she did. =( im really gonna miss you and your whole family once you leave me alone with all these scarry ppl in Cypress...yikes. *runs away* i like how you write from your heart just like you mean to say it. ok well... im really sorry about Laurie. also... awsome pics of the base ball game. im lovin it...lol. ok well have fun in malaysia with out me =(... im gonna have to come visit yall ppl for a week or 2 once you get settled in your awsome home in MaLaYsIa. TTYL. -Thewolfman2010