31 October 2005

HopeFest 2005 -- A Huge Success

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This past weekend, we took part in a huge event called HopeFest -- basically a "Battle-of-the-Bands"where all the proceeds went to a crisis pregnancy center in Houston called CareNet . The weather in Houston was great (sunny, mid-70's), and approximately 1200 people came out to enjoy the music, eat great food, and vote for their favorite Band.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I ran the main (Front-of-House) sound system, and functioned as the lead technical director of the event. The above picture shows me at the console, a decent Yamaha M2000. We rented all the gear from LD Systems, THE name in pro gear for Houston. We had a rather huge system, with eight EAW KF-850 main speakers and eight EAW SB-850 subs. Needless to say -- reaching 110 dB was not a problem!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ashley was our awesome lighting director. She ran the light system right next to me as I ran sound.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Cheryl helped wherever needed -- and looked cool in the process. (Is that a "Hop-Fest" shirt she's wearing??)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It took quite a while to set up all the gear and get it all running, but it was a fun process.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Of course, we had a great team of volunteers from our church. Here I am with Shane and Eric, taking a quick break.

Pulling off HopeFest was a great challenge, but the best part was that the effort raised over $10,000 for CareNet. There are already talks of doing this again next year. I'm sure we'll be up for it. Mixing eight bands in one day was a wild adventure for me. (Sound check? What sound check?) I had a great time, and once again found that serving in a way that brings others HOPE is how I'm wired up.

greg

BTW -- The winning band was Atonement, a metal band comprised of five guys, age 14-17. As Ashley told me, "They rocked."

1 comment:

Barb K said...

What a cool event to be involved in! You guys know how to work/party and serve all at the same time so well. I loved Lighting Director Ashley's pic. 3 weeks from today we all take on Houston! We are so thrilled to be coming down.
Love you, Mom