10 October 2005

I'm a Cub Fan First, but...

It sure is great to be an Astros fan as well. What a thriller yesterday as the Astros won the longest game in postseason baseball history -- 7-6 in 18 innings. Two grand slams in one game -- a record. 23 Astro players used in one game -- a record. Lance Berkman hitting a grand slam in the 8th with the Astros down 6-1. Brad Ausmus (of all people!) hitting a game-tying homer with the Astros down by one with two out in the bottom of the 9th (just an inch over the home run line). Luke Scott missing a game-winning home run outside the left field foul pole in the bottom of the 10th. Roger Clemens pinch hitting in the 15th, then PITCHING the 16th, 17th, and 18th innings (his first relief appearance since 1984!). Chris Burke hitting the game winner in the 18th.

If you call yourself a baseball fan and missed yesterday's adventure, you should go to MLB.com right now, buy the game and watch it. This is going to be one of those games (like the Ryne Sandberg - June 1984 game, like the 2003 Bartman game, like the 1988 Kirk Gibson walk-off home run World Series game) that you will discuss and remember for years. Wow.

Just heard an interview on the radio on the way to work -- The same fan caught both home run balls -- Berkman's slam in the 8th, and Burke's winner in the 18th! Is he going to sell off the most valuable balls in Astro history? No. He wants to give both back to the Astros, and just asks that they give him whatever they feel is right in return. Are you kidding me? the Astros should take him (Shaun Dean) on the team charter tonight to St. Louis, and give him a reward he won't soon forget. I guess it pays to bring a glove to the park.

What a great game for fans to watch. Postseason baseball - very cool. My hope of watching the Astros take down the White Sox in the Series is still a possibility.... :-)

I would have had a couple of Ashley's homecoming pictures up, but the 6 hour game had a way of changing our Sunday plans just a bit. I'll post the photos tonight. She looked awesome and had a great time!

greg

P.S. Drew -- Sorry the Braves lost (ok, no I'm not). I guess 2 of the 3 teams you were cheering are now out of the hunt. It's not too late to join the Astro bandwagon. Hey, even former Cub Kyle Farnsworth had a hand in giving the Astros the win.

2 comments:

dbrown said...

Greg
Only reason I rooted for the Braves was out of respect for Bobby Cox. He's one amazing manager and I wanna see him win one more World Series before he's done.

The 'Stros are gonna have their hands full with the Redbirds! And if beating the Astros means the Cards will take down the Sox in the Series, go Cards!

Greg Boncimino said...

No doubt -- the Astros are overmatched by the Cardinals. I won't argue that. (I'm kinda used to rooting for the underdog, you know?)

Bobby Cox has been a great manager, and he did manage his use of personnel better yesterday than Phil Garner did. It's fun to read the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. Kind of like reading the Chicago Tribune the day after the Cubs fell in 2003.

You have to admit the game was great yesterday, agree?