
Phil and Valerie journeyed down to see Houston this past weekend. Upon arrival, they saw a small army of police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks outside their hotel. Something about a shooting that had just occurred. Then, in the hotel lobby, they saw two women come in wearing 8-inch heels and tight skirts, proceeding to the elevator. Ahhh, welcome to Houston.

We did have a great time, however. We showed them some of the sights around town (no car accident this time, Drew!) Had an awesome BBQ lunch at Goode Company, then relaxed at our casa for a while.

Then, on Sunday, we all went to see the last Cubs game of the year: Game 162. Great pitching matchup: Maddux-Oswalt. The Astros needed the win in order to clinch the NL Wild Card. The Cubs wanted to win for Greg Maddux, giving him a .500 season (14-14). The Astros won the hard-fought game 6-4, but I saw two things in that game I've never seen before. And leave it to the Cubs to actually accomplish them:
1. In the 3rd inning, with Neifi Perez on 3rd and 1 out, the Astros pull the infield in for a play at the plate. Maddux hits a sharp grounder right to SS Adam Everett. Cubs 3rd base coach SENDS PEREZ HOME!!! Everett, not believing this good stroke of luck, throws home to get Perez easily. Nice job, Cubs. Who in their right mind would run home from 3rd with less than two out and the infield in?? Perfect.
2. In the 5th inning. Maddux comes up again. However this time, the Cubs are in the middle of a rally. Barrett (I think) had homered to open the inning, then 2 straight singles put Cub runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out. Maddux is sent to the plate to bunt the runners to 2nd and 3rd. He lays down the bunt, but Oswalt throws to 2nd for one out. Everett relays to Biggio covering 1st for the second out. MADDUX BUNTED INTO A DOUBLE PLAY!! The things the Cubs manage to accomplish I'll never understand.
Hopefully it'll be the Astros and White Sox in the World Series, like I mentioned long ago. This way it would be wonderful to see the Sox go down at the hands of my 2nd favorite team.
Well, I need to drive to work. Time for the wonderful Houston commute. ;-) Have a great day, everyone.....
greg
2 comments:
Greg,
Seems the worst part of the Pezsats trip was the long delay to get home. Rain delays in Chicago had them arrving at 11:15 PM instead of 8:00. It was still fun to pick them up and get the whole scoop on the weekend.
Love you, Mom
Greg, I had to tell you this.. Here in Colorado, I got a real nice Cubs jersey at the Goodwill. I proudly hung it on my kitchen window. Pretty cool huh? If one of the girls wants it they can have it. Let me know. It has a small tear on the button side. But its so cool. I think of La everytime I see it.
Post a Comment