05 August 2005

Cubs (and Drew) Coming to Houston!

Just wanted to make a "lighter" post today.

This might seem goofy, but I am excited that the Cubs will be in town to play the Astros just 10 days from now (Aug 15-17). As usual, we'll be going to all three games. However, this time, fellow Cub fan Drew Brown is traveling to Houston so that he can experience the wonders of Minute Maid Park first hand.

During the Cubs last visit to Houston, I had to sell our tickets to all the games because of the Costa Rica trip. This means that I've only seen the Cubs in person once this year (although the venue was Yankee Stadium!)

My core allegiance is to the Cubs. However, the Astros have grown to be my #2 team. They've been going nuts since Berkman came off the DL. At one time this year, the Astros were 15-30 in the cellar. Now, they're 59-49, and in the wild card drivers seat. Clemens has a ridiculous 1.45 ERA, closely followed by Pettitte (2.58) and Oswalt (2.40).

If the Cubs fail to come back and rescue this season, I'm hoping for an Astros-White Sox world series so that the Astros can sweep the South Siders 4-0. (Short of seeing the Cubs win a world series, I'd love to see the Sox lose the big one almost as much.)

I love how being a Cub fan runs so deep in our family. Some of my best Cub memories actually precede Laurie's life: I remember putting the 1978 team photo on my wall, going to Spring Training in 1983, going to countless games with my Dad in the late 70's / early 80's, and (of course) watching Chris pop thousands of cups at Wrigley throughout the years (ask him about it). Some of my original Cub favorites: Kingman, Reuschel, DeJesus, Murcer, Sutter, Buckner (before '86!). I haven't gotten the tattoo yet (Katie can have that category to herself).

Anyone else want to come down for the Cubs/Astros series? We'd love to have you!

greg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the games Greg. I've always liked the Cubbies too but ever since Sammy left, a part of me left too. However, the Astros are sure doing some amazing playing.