21 August 2005

Our Adventure in the Dome

Drew made a great post today, and I'm so glad he did. He added some depth to his visit, but far more captivating than that was his account of his dream -- and the ensuing perspective it gave him. It was amazing.

I'd like to offer some light-hearted entertainment regarding our Astrodome adventure. I wanted to take Drew over to see the Reliant complex (home of the new Stadium as well as the old Dome). Our first stop was Reliant Stadium, home of the famous Janet Jackson incident from the 2004 Super Bowl. Here is Drew standing outside the stadium, wondering if he was going to experience a "wardrobe malfunction" as well:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We decided to walk the 300 feet over to where the Astrodome stood. You'd think this was no problem, but if you haven't been to Houston in August, then you wouldn't know that the temperature is about 375 degrees every day down here. By the time we made it over to the Dome, we were melted blobs of goo. Here, Drew gazes upon the Dome, wondering to himself if there would be any way to see the inside....
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Looking over to Drew through the thickly saturated 375 degree Houston air, I mentioned that I recalled the service entrance to the Dome occasionally being open in the past. Bad news was that this entrance was on the OPPOSITE side of the 8th Wonder of the World. Drew was hopeful, so we decided to move onward. At the other side, we found the service entrance and walked down the ramp. We didn't think we would get past the first gate, so we snapped a quick picture:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

While we gazed in, a maintenance man drove up in a golf cart. Oh well, we thought, "nice while it lasted"... To our amazement, the guy just waved and moved on. Hey, he was melting in the same heat. We then did what comes naturally: we walked right in. Drew even began to run toward the middle of the concrete floor:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Not knowing if we would simply be asked to leave, or whether we would soon be visiting a Houston holding cell, we pressed on. I took a picture of Drew in his batting stance at home plate.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Before leaving, we looked at the old Oilers and Astros banners hanging from the rafters above the stadium:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is important to also note that, even though the Dome hasn't hosted any real events in four years, the whole 9-1/2 acre place is still being faithfully air-conditioned. Wonder how much that electric bill is each month... Yikes.

I'm sorry for the rather trivial story today. Yes, it is not laden with deep purpose, but if you read between the lines, I think you can see that we're moving on with life. How great to be stepping forward with a cool guy like Drew. And even if we had been thrown into the slammer for trespassing, I'd still think of it as a fun day...

greg

P.S. Just found out from Katie that she and Tommy (plus kids) as well as Mom/Pete are beginning plans to be down here for a Houston Thanksgiving. We are SO excited....

P.P.S. If all this talk about the Astrodome has caught your interest, read this.

No comments: