14 August 2005

The Spice of Life

It's been a few days since my last post -- I've been attending the WCA Leadership Summit conference, and managing the household while Cheryl has been serving so faithfully in the Conference resource center. Much has happened that I won't be able to recap in these few lines. However, some highlights:

** Once again, I have been SO challenged by the leadership conference. Each year I find my leadership enthusiasm wane and shrivel, only to see the leadership conference pump me up and re-invigorate me to go after it another year. This years' highlights: Rick Warren, Colleen Barrett, John Maxwell, and Bill's last message. Wow.

** I don't know how or why this happens, but the final session of the Summit hit me harder emotionally than I could have planned. Bill had those who helped run the conference technically come onstage during the final song. No big deal, right? Wrong. I wonder if it was accident that some of my closest, dearest friends ended up center screen right behind Bill. As some of you may or may not know -- I spent a couple of years on the production staff at Willow -- a couple of the richest years of my life that shaped me and formed who I am today. Who was behind Bill?
-- Chris Gille
-- Jill Gille
-- Joanne Botten
-- Dave Cooke
-- Dan Larson
And there were others. (Angel, Ann, Chelsea, Shana....)

Those around me may have been in tears due to the song being sung, but I found myself unraveling just as I looked into the eyes of each of my friends onstage. Then there were those behind consoles who I knew were right there also (Scott Ragsdale, Ron Cook, Matt Wilkerson, Darren Niesley). I love each of them so much. I value them, and I believe they value me. For me, those few moments were filled with memories. Wow. I know with full certainty that God called me away from Willow in 2002 for a clear and important purpose. I do not doubt that for a second. However, that does not prevent me from lovingly remembering the days I spent in South Barrington. Today I would characterize that season as a beautiful and rich time. Now, I am blessed with friendships that transcend employment. How cool and amazing and awesome.

** The girls finished their first week of school last week. They did well. Ashley is now into her sophomore year in High School, and Brooke is a "cool" 8th grader in the Middle School. Schedules are accelerating, but that's fine. I look forward to being present and available during this year for the girls. Both are dealing with losses on multiple levels. In addition to losing their aunt, they have lost the presence of many friends -- Brooke is now attending a brand new middle school (many friends still at the other one); Ashley's schedule has separated her from many friends. I'm proud of how both are doing. Now, onto week two....

** Took Brooke on a Dad/Daughter date on Friday. We went miniature golfing. I had a blast. Brooke is good at the sport too, by the way. Good chance to talk and spend time together.

** Went on two runs with Ashley this weekend. She is doing great, even though it still bugs her that "old" Dad can keep up with her. I love cruising for 3 miles at a time with her. It's a great chance to talk, and push ourselves in fitness. (We also went rock climbing a couple of weeks ago. Ash is quite the athlete!) How fun.

Tomorrow Drew arrives. We're going to see some Cubs/Astros games together, and are excited to host him. But these 2 days might be much more significant than just watching baseball -- I'm hoping we have several chances to talk and open up. He is carrying a lot of pain, as are we. What a chance it will be to just relax together and talk about our common hurt.

Life. It is interesting and ever changing. I still don't even know how LGYC Teen Camp went. That's another story I am looking forward to hearing. I also haven't said much about our neighborhood friends -- each night we spend time with our local friends. How cool. Laughter, kids, fun.

I feel like I have more wrinkles in my face from all the experiences and lessons. I feel like I've aged a lot in six months. My laughs mean more now. My tears mean more now. I cherish the little moments much more. The pain of loss is ever present, but life is becoming richer and "spicier". I can accept this, and am becoming stronger. How very strange indeed.

greg

No comments: