Then, it was on to a wedding -- our first Malaysian wedding to witness. The wedding was held at the parent's home -- just across the street from our new house. The scene was amazing. The whole street was shut down. Tents had been set up down the whole street -- spanning the width of it. Police had been brought in to direct traffic down alternate streets. Convenience shuttles were driving guests from their distant parking spaces to the wedding. We were just about the only foreigners, but we didn't feel out of place at all. Everyone was COMPLETELY warm and inviting. (Of course the temp was warm as well -- mid to upper 80's with lots of humidity).
We were treated to a delicious Malaysian feast, then we awaited the guests of honor -- the bride and groom. Here are some pictures from the event. Enjoy!!
Guest await the arrival of the bride and groom. This is a picture taken right on our new street:

The bride and groom arrive, and lead the parade up the street!

Relatives and friends celebrate in various ways:

The whole procession was heralded with drums and singing!

You know it's a cool time when children are dancing in the street!

A young boy awaits more festivities:

As you can see, this was an unforgettable event. I hope these photos help you envision what the day was like. As for tonight, we plan to go out for some good ol' American food. Endless dishes of fish, seafood, rice, noodles, and chicken has led us to crave burgers and pizza. (Are we out of our minds?) We hope to stop by the Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood tonight.
P.S. We did officially take occupancy of our new house today. However, we still have to wait for our household goods to arrive, which still isn't for another 2-3 weeks! We will probably move in during the first week of August. It was fun to get two piles of keys handed to us. Would you believe that the pile consisted of 30 keys and 2 remotes?? Whoa. It's gonna take a month just to figure out how to open the right doors!
greg
p.s. I'm not sure I'll be able to write from Korea next week, but hopefully I'll be able to craft another post by Thursday or so.
6 comments:
Thank you so much for your descriptions and photos. Not only is it amazing that you all get to experience this, but also amazing that you are willing to share it with us - your faithful readers!
My son is in China teaching English this summer. I know it isn't the same, but it is nice to get some insight into that part of the hemisphere
Very nice pictures. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.
Greg, I just got home from work and couldn't wait to get to the computer to read about another new and exciting experience... Thanks so much for sharing. I loved the story and all the cool pic's.
God Bless You and Your Beautiful Family.
Greg,
Looks like a wonderful time.
Thnak you for letting us see the pictures. Hope you guys enjoy your burgers and pizza.
Greg, I laughed at the part about the Guppies.. I helped castrate bulls today. ME.!!! Your Aunt Gail. Can you believe that? That's living in the west for ya. Did you get your burgers and pizza? Please email me when you have a chance . Love ya
Hi Greg....
For those of us who may never have the opportunity to leave the US, I thank you for sharing your experiences and the lovely pictures. It gives us an insight to other cultures that we may never experience first hand. I personally love reading your blog and learning new things. Thanks Greg. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
In His Love,
Eileen G.
Post a Comment