Today I want to publish some cool pictures from recent days, but first some miscellaneous "stuff":
We Are Still Running...
Even though our routine has been completely overturned, and we're here living in a downtown KL apartment, I'm happy to say that we're still doing a pretty good job of staying in shape. I am using the building's treadmill almost every day. I may not be in marathon shape at the moment, but I still try to run somewhere between 3 and 5 miles every morning. This morning, being Saturday, I did the equivalent of a long run -- a nice 7 miles! I've notice my mile pace is off somewhat -- not sure why really, but I've read recently that it's important to consider about a month of the year to be an "offseason" so that's how I'm really looking that this period. Our sights are on the KL Marathon, due to be run in March 2007. If we find something else sooner, we might target that. Ashley has hinted that she might want to train for her first marathon. For me, this would be my third. Time will tell.
Work is HARD..
I know some friends of mine from work read this blog, so I won't write anything controversial, but I am just at the point where my learning "curve" feels like a learning "wall". It is so steep that it just looks like it goes straight UP. I'm coming into a completely different part of the business, doing a completely different role, in a completely different part of the world, with completely different products (aftermarket services actually), and completely different customers. Not only that, but the spending philosophy is 100% different here. We fly all over, we take customers out, we bring in specialists from Ireland... Yesterday I had my first taste of wondering if I could really do this. I'm not looking for any pity whatsoever -- just know that it's downright difficult on me right now.
Irony, Irony, Irony
We've attended the same church for two weeks now. The pastor just came back from a home leave to the United States. After talking with him, Cheryl and I discovered that he was not only in Texas, but in Cypress. And, not only that, but he did a backyard pool baptism in the neighborhood right across the street from our old neighborhood. How could it be that we're 9,900 miles away, and the pastor just did a baptism service 400 yards from our old house?? Not only that, but when he showed us pictures, we saw one of our friends (Rick Burnett!!). It turns out the church he was visting was The Foundry, which is where some of our Texas friends attend (the Mass family also!) Weird.
More Irony
I'm working with a great guy at the KL office. He works in our San Diego office. With any luck, he may be transferred to KL to work with our team on a permanent basis. Last night I learned some amazing things about his background. (Alpine Chapel and Arlington Countryside Church readers, watch this...) He was born and raised in Vietnam. Then, in 1980, at the age of 8, he fled Vietnam as a refugee -- and was part of the famous group known as the boat people. His parents stayed behind! He managed to live in Thailand for a brief period, then was brought in as a foster child by a Catholic priest from Peoria, Illinois. He moved to the US knowing no English, and was raised by this Catholic priest. He earned an engineering degree from Southern Illinois University, and then an MBA from Bradley University. He is incredibly talented, and now he is here in KL working with me. I was nearly overcome with emotion when he told me this story because our family and church took in a Vietnamese family of our own in the early 1980's, and Laurie was essentially brought up by them. Many times during my conversation, I felt my throat tighten up with the memories.
OK, photo time...
I just wanted to share a few low res photos here with you. They span a few days. So enjoy...
Alan Quintero was our official first visitor. Here are Alan and I at dinner together. How fun!!

Ashley was amused by one of our dinner companions: Yum!!

Here we are with Alan after an amazing dinner at Hakka's, just around the corner:

A week ago we took our first car ride across town, and just about went crazy -- the traffic was nuts, and the roads made no sense. Here is how Cheryl greeted our first dinner beverage upon arrival to the mall:

The girls had a cool dessert called Cendal. Here they are, about to dig in:

After seeing all the people in Muslim scarves and Saudi Arabian full-covers, Brooke decides to join in with her own "head covering":

So, this morning, we decided to head over to another KL landmark, the KL tower:

The KL tower was built in 1996. It is the fourth tallest tower in the world, at 421 meters. It has an observation deck and rotating restaurant in addition to lots of telecommunication gear (our present "home" is the white building at left in the photo below):

Here is a shot looking down from the observation deck (at just 268 meters above ground level). Note the Petronas Twin Towers at the left, and on the right (hard to see) is the 33 story building where we live, The Ascott:

Here is what the Hard Rock Cafe looks like from space (even at this view you can still tell how overpriced it is -- is that a Ringgitt flying out of my pocket??):

Admission to the tower included these nifty cool MP4 players that gave audio and video commentary from each of 12 viewing stations. Here you can see just how excited Brooke is:

OK. Now I must get on to other things. I hope you enjoyed this super long post. Today we plan to scout out a few upcoming purchases since the day of our move to the house is getting closer. Feel free to comment below. :-)
greg
8 comments:
Greg, Your blog is a gas to read. I love it. I loved all the pictures. Is Ash feeling great again? It was cool to see her holding that shrimp-like thing. Those girls are so pretty. Please don't ever stop blogging. It keeps us all up on your lives. So much more fun than mine...Love you greg, Aunt Gail
How cool is that to have your pastor come here? What's funny is that I heard about the Burnett's attending that ceremony. Weird.
Loved today's blog. Loved the pics. Keep 'em coming!!
Greg:What a great blog!Pictures wre great too. Glad Ash is feeling 100% again. You guys are having such a great advent;ure. Will pray for work to get easier and more familiar as you go on. Can't believe your Pastor was in Texas and in Cypress no less. What a small world. God Bless you 4 in all you do. Love You, GMP
Greg - your half way around the world and your family still warms our smilesl Thank you for including us in your life journall Please dont stop It helps.........it help!!!!!!!
Bless you and your family. Take care and be safe.
Dawm Massouras
Great Pics, Greg very happy to see you all having a such a wonderful time.
I am glad you’re Ashley is feeling better. Thank you for letting see some of your fun it's a real treat
Had the Walzel's over tonight, wanted to call you guys.
Miss you! Hugs to the girls!
Renee
Greg, Sorry I haven't written before now but I'm sure you know how it is when you're "crazy" busy. I'm happy to hear that you and your family have arrived safely (hope Ashley's fine now) and have started to settle in. I continue praying for you and your family that God continues blessing you and guides you to the spiritual family/church that you seek.....In Him, Karen Hampton
Hey, Greg and fam,
Missing you guys but not feeling too far away with the great pictures and updates. (Brooke, you are hilarious in your "head covering".) Praying for the job to not feel so daunting; I know you well, Greg, and I know you will meet this challenge head on and conquer.
Love you all, Mom
Post a Comment