28 July 2006

Hooray... Thailand Photos

OK, OK. I know that I have been promising some photos, so here you go. I just got back from a 4-day trip yesterday, and it was so great to just spend the evening with Cheryl and the girls. We had a great dinner in good ol KL, and enjoyed sitting outside under the stars as we ate amazingly good Thai food (ironically enough!)

When I landed at KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) yesterday, something different happened: For the first time since we've been here, I actually felt like I was returning "home". Cool, huh? The airport is becoming more familiar, the traffic -- more familiar, the skyline -- more familiar. KL is really starting to grow on me. By the way, did you know that KLIA was recently voted the 6th Best Airport in the World. No wonder, either -- the place is absolutely amazing. It's clean, high-tech, and intelligently designed. And I used to think O'Hare was nice looking... From the link above, you'll also notice that 5 of the top 10 airports in the world are in Asia. They have a thing about great airports here. Believe me -- the Singapore Airport would blow your mind. I fly through there almost weekly these days.

SO, onto the photos from the week. First, here is a shot of my hotel room in Bangkok. I stayed at the Conrad Hotel, a five star place. Wow.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a view slightly left of the one above. The room was perfectly designed. Just wish I was there to ENJOY the place rather than work.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The bathroom was sweet. Here you see the tub through the glass window that faces into the main part of the room. The curtain at left was motorized for easy, quick closing. Check out the sink as well. Also, speakers in the bathroom allow one to hear the TV even if the door is closed and shower on.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the view of Bangkok from my hotel room window on the 30th floor. Not bad.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Notice how clean the air looks. It's actually not very polluted. Lots of unfinished buildings though. One article I read stated that there were over 500 buildings left unfinished due to the 1997 Asian economic crisis.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Huge signs adorn Bangkok buildings. Here, drivers are told "Drink Don't Drive". Hmmm.. Not sure how I'm supposed to interpret that.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In Bangkok, you can find anything with wheels on the road. I'm not kidding. Check out this guy's sweet ride:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Also, there doesn't seem to be much regulation on what you can and can't carry on the road. I saw several trucks overloaded far beyond safe capacity. Here is a typical load -- nothing but pineapples!!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thai billboards put American billboards to shame. They are easily 4 to 5 times larger, and that INCLUDES those you'd find in New York's Times Square. Many are built with a truss structure, such as this one. Simply amazing in size.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thai people absolutely adore their king. This year they are celebrating his 60th year on the throne. All over town you see billboards and shrines honoring the king. The official color to honor him is YELLOW. On Monday's (as we found out), the entire country wears yellow shirts. No joke. We kinda stuck out as we navigated town... Here is a typical building display.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If you didn't already know, Thailand uses a completely different alphabet than ours. It is very beautiful, actually. According to our host, there are something like 44 characters in Thai. Here is a typical road sign:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

OK. The sign is orange, so I'm thinking this means "Construction" or "Warning". But how can you obey a sign where not even a single word makes sense???? Check it out:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Taxis come in all shapes and sizes. In Thailand, they also come in HOT PINK. I rode in one of these babies this week. Like the spoiler??
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ahh, but not so fast. Look closely. This taxi is not quite sure of its brand. Would you believe four different auto emblems??? Is it a Toyota.... or a Ford.... or a Honda.... or a Mitsubishi??? We may never know.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That's the end of the slide show, boys and girls. Please let me know what you think. Also, since I'm traveling almost weekly, let me know what you'd like MORE or LESS of.

Your favorite Asian,

greg

7 comments:

WalkSports.com said...

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. Perhaps the different auto emblems represent that the car has parts of each automaker ... a different definition of hybrid. :)

riniroo said...

Love the pictures, love the commentary. Remember, we are sitting in humid little Cypress getting rained on. You are traveling to all these wonderful lands through the best airports in the world. As your mom said, you're the new reality show. Keep it going!
:-) Nee

becca said...

Branding is a hilarious issue in the East. On the one hand, pop culture is crazy for brand names...and on the other, there is basically no regulation of brand infringement.

As for their king-love...I'm not sure they're allowed to NOT love their king. There's a reason why "The King and I" is banned there!

stacy a said...

I like everything you write about. I think you have a good mix between traveling, your job, your family, and all the intersting things you are learning about culture and food. I can't wait to check you site every day to see what's new or where you're off to next. Thank you again for sharing your life with us. Have an awesome day! God bless!

Gail said...

Greg, that was so fun. Man that sounds so fun traveling all over. I love the photos. Keep up the great work. Hey, Why don't you ever comment on my blog? I miss you...Love, Aunt Gail

Barb K said...

Greg,
I wanna go to Bangkok and snag a pineapple! What a great trip and great shots. Fun to talk with you and Brooke this morning, though too short.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Greg: What an interesting trip and great pictures. I really enjoy your blog and pics. Loved the hot pink car with all the different emblems. But the best was "Drink, Don't Drive. The culture looks amazing, but can't help feeling sorrow for the citizens that I feel are so oppressed. Makes you love where you come from. Miss You, Mom.