
Cheryl, Ashley, and I got up for a nice morning run. Cheryl ran 3 miles, Ash pulled in 4 miles, and I (still in marathon training, remember) did my weekly long run of 9 miles. This will be my last single digit long run until the marathon in January. From here on out, it's 11s, 14s, 17s, and even three 20-milers.. yikes...
I ran my last six miles this morning on our neighborhood's spiffy golf course. Since it's closed today, it was empty and very peaceful. It's located right along Cypress Creek, which will be the first place to flood tonight. It's very likely that the miles I logged today will be underwater tomorrow....
We're really saddened by the bus fire this morning that apparently killed 20-24 senior citizens from Houston. Their community, Bellaire, is right next to our alma mater, Rice University. This is so tragic. We've also heard stories of people having died from carbon monoxide poisoning while stuck in traffic, and also from heat exhaustion.
This morning it looks like traffic along US290 is moving faster. I'd say 20-30 mph. That's a good sign. We plan to drive over to the shopping center to see if people are still stranded. Maybe we can offer some water to them.
Some neighbors are putting tape on their windows:

The theory is to keep the glass from shattering all over the place, but yesterday I also heard that this theory has been debunked lately. Who knows...
Tonight we've decided that Cheryl and I will probably sleep in her closet, and the girls will sleep in Brooke's closet. How cozy, but we'll be sheltered from the risk of any flying glass or projectiles. Since the storm looks like it is still headed east of us, the winds will be not so bad.
I'll try for more updates later. Hey, I'd be interested to know what the coverage is like elsewhere in the country. Is the rest of the country watching this unfold, or is it localized around Texas / Lousiana. What is the word on the street out there? What are people thinking about our stranded motorist crisis? Love to hear your thoughts.
until later,
greg
8 comments:
Hang in there...Praying for you in California.
Greg and fam,
The news coverage is extensive. I flip between channels and it is on every one. The bus explosion tragedy is especially devastating. And as for your traffic, yikes! What a mess. I know how much you have always talked about the maddening congestion just going back and forth to work. This is unreal. My way would be backroads and a compass. Praying for safety for all. Good thing your closets are so big. Pete and I would have quite a time trying to sleep in ours on top of my shoes. Ha.
Love you, Mom
Still lurking, still praying.
Love you guys! It was so great to talk to you last night, Greggie. I was feeling a bit panicky not getting a hold of you yet! Is it weird that YOU are the one calming ME down? Shouldn't that be reversed? Hope you guys are well today!
Always,
Katie
Greg,
I'm praying that God protects you. Be safe, and well. Remember... The Lord is your refuge, and your strength...
Mandy
Greg--
News coverage here in Seattle is pretty extensive. I don't have a TV, but it's a top story in all of our local papers and it's also getting extensive coverage on our NPR stations.
Christine
Thinking of and praying for you guys. Has anyone flown a kite yet? OR try hitting a golf ball when the winds really pick up... just see where it floats off to.
Sorry for the gimmicks. Really, hope you're well. Pass on my love to the rest of the closet-dwellers on your side of the internet.
The coverage is extensive here in Amarillo. The city is supposed to fill up by this weekend as every city south farther was already full.
Got an email from a friend who lives in your area and they got to Dallas in about 12 hours.
Post a Comment