22 September 2005

Hurricane Turns... Straight Towards Us

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well the news today is not better. Woke up to find that the hurricane had changed course slightly -- now it's coming right after Houston. Great.... Sustained winds are 170 mph -- If the scale went up to Cat6 that's where we'd be. They're saying that the winds should drop to Cat3 by landfall Sat morning.

We're not as stocked up on supplies as we would like. The problem is that all the stores are empty. (ever see an empty Wal-Mart?) All gas stations are still out of gas this morning, and people are running out of gas while they sit in the gridlocked traffic. Bumper to bumper for 100+ miles. Makes normal congestion seem easy...

At this moment (9:30am Thurs), we're still planning to hunker down. Some of our neighbors have decided to stay as well. If we need to evacuate, I'd like to do it in the middle of the night tonight. I also wish we had more cash on hand. The problem is that all the banks are out of money. They were down to just handing out $20 bills one at a time yesterday, according to Cheryl.

Today and tomorrow the best way you can help is to (a) pray, and (b) leave comments on this blog to encourage us. I know it's hard to envision a disaster like this when you're many miles away, but it is indeed real. Thanks for everything so far.

greg (and cheryl, ashley, and brooke)

8 comments:

Anna said...

I'm singing this as I rock the baby I nanny for, and I totally believe it brings comfort to us grown ups the same way it soothes a little one... so here you go:

You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine
You make me Happy, when skies are gray (or hurricane-ish)
You'll never know dear, how much I LOVE YOU
Please don't take my Sunshine away...

Barb K said...

I am looking at maps of Houston and now I know exactly where you guys are, north and west of Houston so I am taking some comfort in that. (Don't know why I did not know that before.) Just talking with Cheryl minutes ago was calming. You guys all have great brains, great energy, and a great God. Praying for each of you and Houston. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

i wish you luck and i will be thinking of you and praying for you, the best of luck, and if you think for a second you need to get out then pack up and busle out, it is better to be safe then sorry, good luck and i will be thinking of you

Anonymous said...

Get out of there and go to Vonda's - she'll take good care of you (and make you some good drinks I'm sure! :-)
I love you and am worried about you - I'm praying for God's strong hand of protection to be upon all of you. Please keep posting as long as you can so we know how you are - CJJ :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking-reading your blog. Good luck. Here's prayers

Anonymous said...

In times like there is not much we can do but pray. Keep safe and remember that God will watch over you.

Anonymous said...

I am praying and watching for you, Cheryl, and the girls. You have great intuition so I know you can handle what is being thrown at you. I send prayers and hugs to all 4 of you.

Love, Marie

Anonymous said...

Greg and Family....

I'm praying fervently for your safety, protection, good health and ample provisions during this storm. I'm claiming Psalm 91 for you as I write this. The Lord will protect you and give you the wisdom you need to do whatever is necessary. Keep the faith and know that others are praying for you and our family.

In His Love,

Mrs. Goodmiller