Today Kate turns 27. Yahoo! (yes, it's still OK for me to reveal her age. Two reasons -- she's still under 30, and I'm her brother. Case closed!)
Seriously, I am so proud of Katie / Red / Skate / Dade / Ice Cream Dade. Ever since Chris and I used to tie her up into our Daily Herald carrier bags, or drag her around in a suitcase, or give her "special" haircuts, she's been a trooper -- a great younger sister. And now that she's the mom of three kids at home, the wife of an accomplished gourmet chef (yes, that's you Tommy!), and ABOUT to become a degreed nurse -- I think it's safe to say that Kate is one amazing young woman! How she manages to stay as coolheaded as she does during the mayhem of the triple tornado (Denver-Maya-Isaiah) I'll never know.
Add to that the fact that she has had to deal with the loss of such a close sister, and anyone can see how unique my sister Katie is. Many will remember her speech at Laurie's memorial service as truly anointed. (Hopefully we'll be able to post audio from that soon.) However, in recent days and weeks, I think the thing that has just stirred me the most has been watching HER process through our grief. Here are some of my most poignant memories:
3/16/05 - The Part I Don't Know
3/25/05 - The Tide
4/6/05 - Footie Pajamas
4/8/05 - There is This Woman I Know
4/16/05 - Garden of Eden
5/13/05 - Big Big Big Big
6/2/05 - Another Day Another Stupid Reason
7/19/05 - A Gulp of Fresh Air
8/17/05 - Weeping Wailing and Throwing Punches
This is my sister. I love her. I adore her. I am so glad to be her brother -- and HAVE been every second of her life -- through everything. I can't wait to see her at Thanksgiving. I can't wait to celebrate her nursing degree. I can't wait to cheer on a Cub World Series victory with her (might be a while, Dade...)
Happy Birthday, Katie.
Love,
Your BEST brother ;-)
greg
1 comment:
Thanks, Grit! I love you too!
Kate the skate
Post a Comment